The site of Our Lady of Fatima Church and School was acquired by warranty deed dated July 2,1929, the gift of Harry and Katherine Owen, and George and Elizabeth Parrish, to A.T. Daeger, Archbishop of Santa Fe in Trust for the benefit of the Roman Catholic Church. Elizabeth Parrish was the sister of Harry Owen.
A fundraising campaign sponsored by the new Parish and by St. Charles Parish made possible the construction of a school. His Excellency, the late Archbishop Edwin B. Byrne, broke ground on July 3, 1949. “Heights Catholic School” enrolled its first pupils in the fall with Sister M. Ignatia as its first principal. The school which consisted of 151students in four grades taught by three nuns was formally dedicated on January 29, 1950.
The new convent for the Dominican Sisters of Grand Rapids was blessed and dedicated in December 1951.
Four classrooms were added to the school and the rectory was purchased in 1954. The school in its newly improved building had grown to the full eight grades. Discussion of plans for the present Church edifice was begun in 1953, when the Archdiocesan Fund Campaign was held. Rt. Rev. Msgr Jose Garcia, V.G.., broke ground and construction started on January 19, 1957. The “Fight to the Furnish” was conducted in May of that year to provide the necessary furnishing and equipment for the new church.
The Church was formally dedicated on May 4, 1958, by the late Archbishop Byrne. The relics of Saints Vincentius and Charus are in the main altar; Saints Felix and Laetus are in the East altar and Saints Beatus and Clementis are in the West altar.
A gift bequest in 1980 from the Helen T. Gallagher Estate led to the construction of Fatima-Gallagher Hall. The hall is a multipurpose parish center which was dedicated on January 8,1984. Many parishioners joined in the campaign, “Project Parish”, to provide the necessary funds.